09 October 2014

Too many things to knit with so little time

I've been going through a challenging time in my life lately. It's been one of those inevitable periods where everything feels frustrating and difficult. I often reflect on how working with wool has provided me with the calm and focus I've needed to continue through several taxing life experiences. I've heard this sentiment from many other knitters and crocheters, that the simple rhythm of their work has helped them through loss, injury, and various other challenges. I find that fact incredibly inspiring, it connects us as a community in a profound way.

I feel as though each of my projects have been dragging on in a sense, I forget that they are each fairly large and ambitious. I've been fighting the temptation to cast on a hat for quick satisfaction.

Nymphalidea has been such a joy to work on, I've really been able to get into a comfortable rhythm with this project. The pattern is super easy to memorize and the construction is very different from the traditional shawl design. If you are like me and find shawls tedious, you'll probably find this pattern a nice change in pace. I'm not sure how I like the colors together yet.
DSC_0003

Antique yarn blanket is reaching the point where one circular needle is not enough to contain it. I really wish I could convey the lovely smell of this yarn too, it is akin to the scent of an old book.
DSC_0007
Antique wool yarn, unknown producer

Guston for the boyfriend is almost finished, I've knitted all of the body, except for the back of the yoke, and finished the sleeves (painfully knitted flat rather than in the round). I simply adore Rowan Pure Wool, you'll never find me knitting with any other 100% wool option again, it is a joy.
DSC_0010

Lastly, I want to share two things that have brightened my life recently:

The Irish film Frank, the trailer is not a fantastic representation of what this film has to offer, but I thought it was deep, creative, and easy to become immersed in. It is also definitely worth seeing in theaters.



If you haven't checked out maria_levine on Instagram yet, you must! She posts several times each day with gorgeous yarns and inspired cabled hats and gloves. She also has the sweetest kitties.

I hope you are all well and creating beautiful things every day!

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back! I've been so busy--I haven't checked your blog for some time. I'd assumed you'd stopped posting, but now I see you're up and going again. I have taken a new job, so I've been a bit overwhelmed and preoccupied. (I'm now working at a very large high school in Charlotte--a great place with lots of capable students.) I love all of the beautiful projects you've posted. Glad to see you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! The busy/stressful/frustrating times always pass, even when they feel like a long slog. And knitting/spinning/crafting certainly helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is indeed a great and uniting thing that knitting can be so helpful in hard times. I hope you'll feel better soon and you're wips are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making wonderful work of juggling your knitting projects, and I'm sure that same skill translates into the activities of your non-knitting life also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently did that shawl as well and I love it. I did it using Gnome Acres in the Lady of the Lake and Deep Blue Something. It turned out so pretty! I love the smell of old books so I'm sure I'd enjoy the smell of your blanket. Very true that knitting helps us. I knit a child's sweater while my dh was in the hospital dying. It's the only way I kept my sanity. I have two shawls, a sweater and a pair of fingerless mitts on the needles right now and plans for so much more! I did just finish a lovely hat for my Grandma. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Ivy, how you can have so many things on your needles at once and stay sane is a mystery, but I admire your perseverance. And talent - you have such a knack for good yarns and good patterns. Keep it up my friend and everything will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have some lovely WIPs, you've done well to get as far as you have on each project. Just decide to get one finished and then you will be happy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness for our knitting ~ it surely is a calming tonic for me, too! I love all your projects ... enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time. I agree that knitting is especially soothing during such times. I had a hectic week at work last week and I came home and knit like crazy! It allows me to go to sleep and get up and do it all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That shawl is like an iridescent mermaid's tail. The blanket is a happy one of blues. The texture of the gansey is wonderful. I haven't used Rowan wool. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang in there. Keep knitting! I saw Michael Fassbender promoting Frank on The Colbert Report. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!