03 April 2012

Spinning from a Silk Hankie

I've finished some more amazingly beautiful handspun this week!

As you may know, I have been working on learning how to spin from a silk hankie, which is one of my Fiber Goals for 2012.  It has been a really fun experience and I would certainly do it again just for the feel of the silk against my fingers (so soft!).  Pure silk really does have it's own special texture.


- Spun: April 2, 2012.
- Fiber: 100% silk
- Spindle: Schacht 3" Hi-Lo drop spindle (2.2 oz.)
- Other: single ply, 77 yards, thick and thin


I'm so excited to see how it knits up.  I'm not sure exactly what I will do with it yet, but I'm thinking about knitting it up as a square for my scrap blanket because it just seems to fit there.



*** Warning, personal rant up ahead, feel free to skip:
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place for such a rant; however, considering it is my personal blog and I have to get this off my chest, here goes.

I attend Smith College, a historically all women's college.  I would like to think that our college is known for being a very open and caring environment, as well as for producing strong, intelligent women.  However, today we were told that two anonymous notes containing strong racist and homophobic sentiments had been slipped under students doors.  Frankly I don't think that there is any reason to do such a horrible thing and it makes me deeply sad.

As a scientist, I'm well aware that as of now, there is no genetic basis for the existence of race.  I'm also a secular humanist, in this case meaning that I believe that we are all responsible for treating each other with respect and compassion simply because we are all human beings

Not everyone may agree with me on everything, but my question is: why can't we all just get along

I like how the Universal Declaration of Human Rights puts it best: "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood".

Anyways, apologize for the rant, I'm just deeply shocked by the fact that such a thing happened within my community and I'm not sure what to do or what to think.  I suppose I'm glad that as a community on Ravelry, that we are for the most part (at least in my experience) very supportive and caring regardless of our differences. 

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful spinning. and I agree, can't we all just be friends already?! Stop the hate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said! That type of behavior always seems to catch me off guard- I just can't imagine people doing something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's kind of shocking- especially in a college environment. I honestly pity people that have that much hate in their heart.

    That yarn looks fabulous! You could make a head band out of it, maybe like this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/twin-cities-headband

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I am so sad to hear something like that is going on. I feel like I just keep hearing about racist stuff everywhere lately, like it's suddenly a huge topic again. Idk, but that's just awful.

    The yarn looks spectacular btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The yarn is gorgeous! I love the colours, they are fantastic and so vibrant!

    What a horrible thing to happen at your college! I find it really sad that some people still aren't over racial or religious differences. A person is just a person and every group has it's nasty and nice, lazy and hardworking and friendly or shy people. Ravvelry does have an awesome community :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The yarn looks pretty! Making me want to spin over here! Maybe one day...

    As for the rant, I totally agree. I don't understand the point of hating one another. Nothing positive comes from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be annoyed with that from my alma mater as well. I love the hankie you spun as well. The colors were so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your yarn is beautiful. I agree live in peace with one another, life is too short for all this strife

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree - i don't understand some people, not at all. Seems like a lot of wasted energy and pointless anger. Such a pity when that energy could be used to do something worthwhile.
    Why can't everyone just get along?! Here here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how the silk hankies spun up! Such beautiful yarn: you make it look so easy. And it's so sad to hear of an incident like that happening at your school. My heart goes out to the students who received the notes, but also to the senders, who must be filled with so much fear and hatred to be driven to write something of that nature. What a terrible way to live.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!