24 January 2012

7 Reasons to Spin


When I learned to spin, I can honestly say that it profoundly changed the course of my knitting and crafting forever. I truly enjoy picking up my spindle and spinning away, watching the fibers bind together. Now I cannot imagine my life without it.

I decided to come up with some reasons why I enjoy spinning:

1. Can be incredibly relaxing once you get the hang of it. Learning can be annoying and stressful, but once that fiber is gliding through your fingers it can be a form of meditation.

2. Enables you to create one-of-a-kind yarns using special blends with exotic fibers and different spinning techniques can give your creation a whole new feel and personality.

3. Allows knitters to specially hand craft yarn for a specific project from start to finish. My spinning teacher told us that this would be perk of learning to spin, but at the time I wasn't sure what that meant.

4. Like knitting, usually fairly portable. Now I'm talking drop spindles and select wheels. I'm a spindler and easily spin while at the airport or in the car. It is also fun to walk around the house while spinning.

5. Spinning is very satisfying to finish and get to say "I made this yarn"! It is also extremely exciting to get to knit with your spun yarn and gives your finished object a whole other meaning.

6. Makes a connection to the past. Spinning is an ancient craft and so your ancestors spun too. For me it is a lot of fun knowing that I am aiding in the preservation of this craft tradition.

7. Presents the challenge of learning something new. For me, one of the best parts of learning how to knit was the satisfaction of masting new techniques and producing a tangible final product that could then be made useful. Spinning was the same way, a whole new world of challenges and knowledge opened up when I learned how to spin.

Also, cats love spinning.

So, if you don't know how to spin and have any interest at all, I would highly recommend that you give it a go. The worst thing that can happen is that you will get hooked on a new craft.

What are your reasons for spinning?

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your reasons for spinning. I've noticed recently how many knitters I admire also love to spin (you included) and am itching to give it a try. Any recommendations for the type of spindle to get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, Ok, after a few posts about spinning in my feed this morning I have given in and ordered a beginner kit! I hope I love it as much as you do, but it'll be a while before I manage to make yarns as beautiful as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I came to your blog via Evelyn and I have to agree with all of your reasons for spinning. I quilt, knit and crochet in addition to spinning (I started last July with spinning) and I have to say that out of all the crafts I practice, it's spinning that gives me the most satisfaction for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am quite curious to try spinning, I am waiting for a class to pop up in my area. I'm a little daunted to try it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost ready to dive in... but I keep telling myself I need a bigger house before I begin any new hobbies, because, between the fabric and the yarn, I'm filled up... :-D Someday. I love all your reasons for spinning and am sure I will be hooked on it once I get around to trying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good post and so many good reasons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post so much! My reasons for spinning are pretty much identical to yours. I love how relaxing it is, how it connects me to the spinners who've come before, and how it allows me to control the yarn from start to finish. There's nothing like it!

    Oh, and what a GORGEOUS kitty!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not been drawn to spinning but boy howdy I'm glad that others do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love spinning too! I was on a hiatus for awhile due to too much going on,, but once I pared down some things, I've been spinning up a storm recently. I just started my most ambitious spinning project ever. To spin up yarn in the correct weight to knit a sweater I want to knit. Should be awesome once it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My cat likes (me) knitting...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most of my knitting friends spin. I tried couple of times and it didn't work for me. It's very soothing once you get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah! I can comment again.
    I am not a spinner but admire your ability to create your own lovely yarn. Even though I am not a spinner I can relate to #7 with my knitting. Sometimes when I am working on a pair of socks, I feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, I have been wanting to learn to spin for such a long time! It's on my to do list...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!